Bookends of Refreshment

>> Friday, June 25, 2010

I love my commute. Yeah, I know that's a rare sentiment in Northern Virginia, but it's true. Of course, I admit that I don't have the typical commute for this area.

Fifteen minutes of driving down a country highway through the rolling hillsides of Virginia. It's a perfect bookend to my day in the office -- a chance to take a deep breath, gather my thoughts for the day ahead (or leave them behind in the office), listen to a couple of songs, or pray, or just sit quietly and enjoy this incredible place to which God has brought us.

This morning, the sun was peeking over the horizon, casting long shadows and flickering light through the trees. I popped on some Chris Rice, rolled down the windows, and opened the sun roof. I saw a fox, a couple of deer, and a whole bunch of very happy cows munching lazily on sweet grass. There as no real traffic -- just a handful of other drivers enjoying the ride as much as I was.

Yeah, it's the small blessings of life that are often the most satisfying!

0 comments:

Back to TOP