Lotsa Reading!

>> Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I have a terrible habit of starting a book but not finishing it. Typically I get about three-fourths of the way through when the next title on my "to read" list begins shouting at me for attention, and... well... I end up missing a lot of final chapters. I'm working on changing this, but just to give you an idea of how many books I'm juggling right now, here's the list from the past month or so -- all books that I'm still working on.

A Grace Disguised by Jerry Sittser

The Naked Gospel by Andrew Farley

TrueFaced by Bill Thrall, Bruce McNichol, John Lynch

Seeking the Pillar of Fire by Steve Musser and Eric Orke (for Leadership Team)

I.D. by Mark Batterson

Primal by Mark Batterson

Bo's Cafe by x (audio; on my Zune)

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis (audio; just finished this one today)

Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (audio; on CD in the car)

And I've got about a half dozen other books just waiting to be started between now and summer, including:

Samson and the Pirate Monks by Nate Larkin (recommended by my friend, Mike Minter)

The Ascent of a Leader by Bill Thrall

Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham (when it comes out next month)

There seems to be something of a common theme to many of these books. A lot of them focus on the life-changing grace of God and how that radically impacts our identity. We learn to relate to God entirely by trusting him rather than working to earn his trust. No matter the circumstance -- whether catastrophic grief that shakes our very souls or the mantle of leadership which demands selfless, honest, nurturing character -- it all comes down to getting out of God's way and allowing him to live through us.

I'm really grateful for so many friends who recommend great titles (and sometimes even loan or give me a copy!). It's keeping me challenged, feasting, and growing.

2 comments:

Scott Heine April 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Yeah, I'm thinking electronic books are becoming destiny. Heck, it'd be worth it just to crank up the type size and go "large print" now that my aging eyes require reading glasses... Ack...

Christie Pride April 20, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

I so enjoy hearing about a fellow "book junkie" :-) I can relate to the 3/4 finished and onto the next ~ every summer (sometimes earlier in the year) I "finish" all the titles I had started :-) Your list sounds great to me :-) Enjoy!

Back to TOP