My Friend Andy

>> Friday, August 22, 2008

Let me tell you about my friend Andy.

Andy Matthews is the art director for Hero Games, and he's an incredibly talented guy. As a graphics/visual person myself, I can appreciate the oft-overlooked skill of turning text into art, managing space and flow, and working with a variety of artists and their diverse personalities (not to mention writers, editors, publishers, printers, etc.). Andy is uniquely gifted for this task, and his sensitivity and wisdom are impressive.

But more importantly, Andy is a worship leader at his church. Last weekend, as Andy led the worship service at our convention, I discovered that he has a really great singing voice! And he has a tremendous passion for praise and helping others enter into the presence of God. Andy's church has gone through a bit of a rough struggle, and I was deeply moved by the way Andy has come alongside his pastor to offer encouragement and loyal support. Andy is the kind of guy every pastor wants to have on the team, because he is focused on glorifying the Lord and not getting tangled up in the challenges of organizational management. It really is all about God.

Yet even more importantly than that, Andy is a great husband and father. Throughout the weekend, Andy was constantly talking about his wife and sons back home. It was obvious how much he truly loves them and missed them. And as his boys grow up, they are going to be so blessed by having a dad who hasn't forgotten what it means to be a kid. I got a kick out of Andy buying a Star Wars toy to bring home to one of his boys, but admitting that it was hard not to rip into it and begin playing with it himself. A father who loves to play with his kids -- I see a reflection of God in that.

When Andy and I first met face-to-face in a bagel shop in central Virginia last year, it was a bit awkward at first. You know, one of those "we both know the same people but we don't really know each other yet" kind of things. But within minutes, we were chatting away about everything under the sun, and I knew God was blessing me with a special friend. That kind of easy, comfortable friendship continued this past weekend as we shared a room in Indiana. We stayed up late talking every night. By the end of the convention, we were both a bit sleep deprived from all those late nights. In fact, on the one night when both of us had independently decided to go back to the room early and catch up on some sleep, we still ended up chatting for over four hours before finally turning out the light.

Andy doesn't realize this -- because he's such a humble, gentle soul -- but he has really inspired me. I find his faith and friendship refreshing, and his love for God contagious. I am so deeply grateful that we not only share some of the same friends and hobbies, but that we're brothers for eternity. And I praise God for the simple and beautiful gift of a good friend.

0 comments:

Back to TOP