The Blessing of Hot Water

>> Wednesday, February 17, 2010

As I was showering this morning, I found myself feeling very grateful for the simplicity of hot water.

I know, I know... that may seem kind of silly. But think about it: How many people throughout the world today don't have access to the simple pleasure of a hot shower in the morning? How many people throughout world history lived their entire lives without this wonderful luxury?

Yet I take it for granted. On a chilly winter morning, I can crank a dial, wait a few moments, and step into a steamy booth of hot water. I can feel the morning chill chased away. I can scrub away the sweat and dirt of life. I can let the warmth ease aching muscles. I can just enjoy the luxury and the blessing.

And hot water is only the beginning. Stepping out and drying off, I've got a closet full of clothes to choose from. I've got a gadget in the kitchen brewing me up a hot cup of coffee while I shave. (And, come to think of it, I've got a razor with multiple blades, shaving cream, aftershave balm, and of course hot water!) I've got a radio updating me of the latest news, and my Zune full of tunes to keep me company on the way to the office. I've got electric lights to keep things bright and a furnace to keep things warm while my refrigerator keeps my food cool.

Sometimes it's good to just pause, take note of the delicious hot water streaming down your face, and worship.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights..." (James 1:17 NIV)

"Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT)

0 comments:

Back to TOP