Words Are Inadequate

>> Thursday, June 11, 2009

Words are inadequate. We rely on them to communicate information, share stories, express thoughts, and so much more. Coupled with facial expressions, physical gestures, and even touch or actions, they're the best tool we have to connect with each other.

Yet words are inadequate on a day like today. I've sat in tears in my office, hoping to come up with words of encouragement that might chisel away at grief or express the inexpressible irony of shared sorrow in a time of loss and shared joy in the hope of eternal reunions. But sometimes life hurts in ways that words can neither soothe nor express.

I received a letter from a friend and fellow pastor about the death of his 18-year old daughter last week. Todd and Kellie shared life with Margo and me while we planted a couple of churches in Arizona. I cannot imagine the empty aching of their hearts at this tragedy. And as I sit here trying to grasp for words, something deep in my soul finds peace and hope and comfort in my relationship with our Father. His Spirit even prays on my behalf, giving words to the emotions stirring in my heart. So I let go and find myself swept away in prayer for my friends, their children, their church, and all the lives that Makenzie touched during her brief journey through life.

I encourage you to visit Todd's blog to hear his heart during this time and to read about the life celebration they shared in Makenzie's memory.

Todd Stocker's Weblog:
When All Is Said and Done

0 comments:

Back to TOP