Savor the Celebration, Andy

>> Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Last night, my good friend Andy Mathews passed away. He was young. He had a beautiful wife and 2 small, energetic boys who will need our prayers and support for the difficult journey ahead.

I will miss Andy more than words can express. Andy's friendship was very special to me. His wonder at life, his enthusiasm for God, his joy and creativity... he was such an encouragement to me. Andy touched my life in the most unique and precious ways; nobody else has ever had that kind of gentle impact on me (and I don't think Andy ever realized it or believed me when I told him).

Andy faithfully listened to the messages from Hope each week at our church web site, and would often e-mail me or call me with insights or implications in his life. Most of the folks at Hope only knew Andy from his two visits with us; they never realized that he was truly a part of our church family.

This past summer, Andy and I spent several days together at an event in Indiana. Despite being exhausted each day, we talked and talked into the early hours. I treasure those conversations and the heart of my friend.

Many people knew Andy through his creativity and design as the Art Director for Hero Games, though people seldom paused to realize whose artistry they were enjoying. Andy's blog -- jestersbasement.blogspot.com-- reveals even more of this special man. But there's just no way to capture the incredible heart and mind of this guy without having known him.

Andy was a special blessing to me, and I know he is now worshiping in the presence of his heavenly Father. Savor the celebration, my friend. And save a spot for me; I look forward to sharing the experience with you one day.


Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those who follow godly paths will rest in peace when they die. (Isaiah 57:1-2 NLT)

4 comments:

Unknown December 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM  

Oh my, I just left that scripture on your facebook...guess it was one that comforts you, too. Many blessings, dear pastor as you both grieve your loss and celebrate God's gain ~ We are thankful for you here at Hope

Brandie December 6, 2008 at 12:01 AM  

I just checked in to see how you are doing (I've been behind in blog land). My heart just leaped out of my chest. Although I have never met Andy before, I feel like I know him, even in a small way, from reading your posts. I am so very very sorry. My prayers will definitely be with all of you (especially Andy's family) in the days, weeks and months ahead. Thank you for sharing...

The Olivers December 9, 2008 at 12:30 AM  

Thanks for your kind words about Andy and about his effect on your life. As his sister, it has given me much comfort in the last week to read (and hear) about all of the people's lives that Andy touched in his short existence. I too will miss him more than I can even imagine, but I know that he is praising and worshiping with our Lord incessantly and that makes my heart smile.
In Christ--
Susan

boromax December 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM  

Scott,
My name is Ed Boring. My wife, Wendy, and I spent many wonderful times together when we lived in Lynchburg, VA. We knew Lyn before she met Andy; but our friendship blossomed when they were married. We left Lynchburg in 2001, and eventually ended up in Monterey, CA. We have not been able to be with Andy and Lyn physically since October 2001; so we never met their sons. We were crushed to learn of Andy's passing, but as you have said and as Lyn declares, "he is praising full time now." That is good. I would like to say more and, actually, get to "know" you a bit better, too. However, I am at work at the moment - just couldn't resist getting a quick note in on this post of yours.

Back to TOP